Pan-Asian SNP Consortium
Asia, as the largest and most populous continent, harbors significant cultural and linguistic diversity, but the geographic structure of genetic variation across the continent remains enigmatic. Here, we report a large-scale survey of autosomal variation from a broad geographic sample of Asian populations: more than fifty thousand single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) typed in 1,808 DNA samples representing 73 Asian populations.
Our results show considerable relatedness and prevalent gene flow amongst the populations studied, and may indicate a predominantly south-to-north migration of East Asian populations. Although alternative models cannot be completely rejected with available data, our analyses suggest a common origin for all East and Southeast Asian populations studied, implying that the majority of the gene pool in Asia was derived from a single initial entry of modern humans into the continent.
Pan-Asian SNP data
Pan-Asian SNP participantsAll participants were involved in the primary study design and data-analysis. (Participants are listed by country, and then alphabetically within institutions, except for Principal Investigators and Project Leaders, as indicated.)More...
- Jinam TA, Hong LC, Phipps ME, Stoneking M, Ameen M, Edo J; HUGO Pan-Asian SNP Consortium, Saitou N. Evolutionary history of continental southeast Asians: "early train" hypothesis based on genetic analysis of mitochondrial and autosomal DNA data. Mol Biol Evol. 2012 Nov;29(11):3513-27. doi: 10.1093/molbev/mss169. Epub 2012 Jun 22.
- Xu S, Pugach I, Stoneking M, Kayser M, Jin L; HUGO Pan-Asian SNP Consortium. Genetic dating indicates that the Asian-Papuan admixture through Eastern Indonesia corresponds to the Austronesian expansion. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012 Mar 20;109(12):4574-9. Epub 2012 Mar 6.
- Yang X, Xu S; HUGO Pan-Asian SNP Consortium. Identification of close relatives in the HUGO Pan-Asian SNP database. PLoS One. 2011;6(12):e29502. Epub 2011 Dec 29.
- Ngamphiw C, Assawamakin A, Xu S, Shaw PJ, Yang JO, Ghang H, Bhak J, Liu E, Tongsima S and the HUGO Pan-Asian SNP Consortium. PanSNPdb: The Pan-Asian SNP Genotyping Database. PLoS One. 2011 June 23, 6(6): e21451.
- Hatin WI, Nur-Shafawati AR, Zahri MK, Xu S, Jin L, Tan SG, Rizman-Idid M, Zilfalil BA; HUGO Pan-Asian SNP Consortium. Population genetic structure of peninsular Malaysia Malay sub-ethnic groups. PLoS One. 2011 Apr 5;6(4):e18312.
- Xu S, Kangwanpong D, Seielstad M, Srikummool M, Kampuansai J, Jin L; HUGO Pan-Asian SNP Consortium. Genetic evidence supports linguistic affinity of Mlabri--a hunter-gatherer group in Thailand. BMC Genet. 2010 Mar 19;11:18.
- HUGO Pan-Asian SNP Consortium, Abdulla MA, Ahmed I, Assawamakin A, Bhak J, Brahmachari SK, Calacal GC, Chaurasia A, Chen CH, Chen J, Chen YT, Chu J, Cutiongco-de la Paz EM, De Ungria MC, Delfin FC, Edo J, Fuchareon S, Ghang H, Gojobori T, Han J, Ho SF, Hoh BP, Huang W, Inoko H, Jha P, Jinam TA, Jin L, Jung J, Kangwanpong D, Kampuansai J, Kennedy GC, Khurana P, Kim HL, Kim K, Kim S, Kim WY, Kimm K, Kimura R, Koike T, Kulawonganunchai S, Kumar V, Lai PS, Lee JY, Lee S, Liu ET, Majumder PP, Mandapati KK, Marzuki S, Mitchell W, Mukerji M, Naritomi K, Ngamphiw C, Niikawa N, Nishida N, Oh B, Oh S, Ohashi J, Oka A, Ong R, Padilla CD, Palittapongarnpim P, Perdigon HB, Phipps ME, Png E, Sakaki Y, Salvador JM, Sandraling Y, Scaria V, Seielstad M, Sidek MR, Sinha A, Srikummool M, Sudoyo H, Sugano S, Suryadi H, Suzuki Y, Tabbada KA, Tan A, Tokunaga K, Tongsima S, Villamor LP, Wang E, Wang Y, Wang H, Wu JY, Xiao H, Xu S, Yang JO, Shugart YY, Yoo HS, Yuan W, Zhao G, Zilfalil BA; Indian Genome Variation Consortium. Mapping Human Genetic Diversity in Asia. Science 326, 1541 (2009).